Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
简介Sophisticated rental housing scams in South Korea incurred over 510 billion won ($376.5 million) in ...
Sophisticated rental housing scams in South Korea incurred over 510 billion won ($376.5 million) in damages from January to July this year, with less than 25 percent of the damages retrieved, data showed Monday.
According to police data compiled by Rep. Jeon Bong-min, a lawmaker of the ruling People Power Party, the financial loss that 4,481 rental housing fraud victims across the nation suffered amounted to 510.5 billion won during the January-July period. The number of victims rose eightfold, while the financial damages jumped fivefold, compared with the yearly figure in 2022, according to Jeon.
The amount of money the country's law enforcement was able to retrieve from scammers, however, came to 115.3 billion won from January to August, or 22.6 percent of the damages incurred during the January-July period. In 2022, only 0.6 percent of damages were confiscated from fraudsters, according to Jeon.
The figures do not include the recent high-profile rental housing fraud case the previous week in Suwon, Gyeonggi Province, to which the authorities estimate that up to 760 people might have fallen victim. As of Saturday, up to 18 billion won in damages were reported to the police in 131 cases.
First-time lawmaker Jeon blamed the lack of legislation for the law enforcement's failure to confiscate any available properties of the scammers, who exploited loopholes in South Korea's unique rental housing system called "jeonse," as soon as the investigation started targeting them.
He called for the swift passage of the revision of the Act On Special Cases Concerning the Confiscation and Return Of Property Acquired Through Corrupt Practices, which he proposed in April, to allow law enforcement to collect or freeze scammers' assets so that they cannot dispose of a specific property until after they get a court mandate to return the money to victims.
Korean courts have sentenced scammers up to 10 years of imprisonment as criminal punishment, but there are flaws in retrieving jeonse scammers' assets before they are indicted because the law does not recognize their gains through housing rental scams as ones acquired through corrupt practices, according to Jeon.
Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's top carmaker, and its sister company, Kia Corp., are set to po ...
Seoul beckons local and global esports fans with esports-friendly attractions during the annual Leag ...
The first concerts of Ive's "Show What I Have" world tour in Seoul on Saturday and Sunday were ...
'삐뽀삐뽀 119' 하정훈도 국힘 간다…이수정 등 5명 합류 확정
Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30
Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
DS Dansuk seeks W100b IPO to spur growth
Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
- Yoon nominates former boss to head broadcasting watchdog
- Drug offences rise by nearly 50 percent on
- Drug offences rise by nearly 50 percent on
- GC Biopharma breaks ground for Indonesia’s first blood products plant
- 조응천 "8년간 쓴소리 했는데…요즘은 백태클에 뒤통수 가격"
- Actors, musicians unite for Hakchon Theater's closing act
- ‘Korea could go extinct without proper immigration policy’: minister
- Auditor says Moon govt distorted 2020 death of fisheries official
- [사진] 부산 깡통시장 간 윤 대통령과 기업 총수들
- Yoon visits Busan after failed World Expo bid
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- The 2023 Seoul Fantastic Beer Festival
- Russian, Uzbek nationals under investigation after campsite brawl
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains after Fed comments
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- 문 정부, 셀트리온에 코로나 R&D 예산 522억 몰아줬다
- [HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- [HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
- Viviz to drop 4th EP ‘Versus’ next month
- Hanwha at forefront of Korea’s space leadership
- Opposition calls for Yoon's overhaul of Cabinet after by