[New in Korean] Kim Hye
简介"A Heart Wishing for Blessings"By Kim Hye-jinMoonji PublishingIn Kim Hye-jin's short story, "Mo ...
"A Heart Wishing for Blessings"
By Kim Hye-jin
In Kim Hye-jin's short story, "Mokhwa Mansion," protagonists Man-ok and Sun-mi share a complex relationship of landlord and tenant, finding themselves in equally precarious situations.
They look out for each other, extending neighborly assistance in the beginning. But when things get rough, Man-ok demands that Sun-mi vacate the house as soon as possible. Sun-mi resists and says she will live there until the end of the contract. Eight years of friendship begin to fade in the face of financial challenges.
"A Heart Wishing for Blessings" weaves together eight short stories delving into the concept of “home” in contemporary Korean society, marking Kim's third collection of short stories.
The author delicately portrays tales that could easily unfold in our own neighborhood, such as the deteriorating neighborhood, redevelopment project and people scouting neighborhoods for investments.
The home as an asset or commodity often overshadows its role as a space for living. The stories unfold traversing class, region, generations and gender, leading to conflicts and tensions.
The characters' experiences hint at many societal issues, including real estate scams, and challenges faced by unemployed youth and young adults who are dependent on their parents.
In the author's note, Kim reflects, "The houses I stayed in at different times in my life comforted, encouraged and shaped me -- and became a part of myself. … This book is not so much about homes but rather a narrative about the emotions surrounding them."
Her latest novel in translation, "Concerning My Daughter," (2022) translated by Jamie Chang, was recently adapted into a film and premiered at the Busan International Film Festival in October.
On a cold winter's day, the aroma of freshly baked goods is hard to resist. As you look around, ...
Girl group aespa’s English-language single “Better Things” was chosen as one of the “Best Songs of ...
South Korea, the United States and Japan seek to demonstrate to China and others that being democrat ...
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- Art Token launches Hangeul
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- Hanwha showcases ground weapons systems at US trade fair
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Buddhism scholar committed to expanding Korean studies at Yale
- Yoon's approval rating falls for first time in 3 weeks to 34.7%
- Berliner Philharmoniker visits Seoul for first time in 6 years, joined by Cho Seong
- Investment opportunities in Kazakhstan, South Chungcheong Province highlighted at GBF
- YG's new group Babymonster to debut on Nov. 27
- 노조에 파업 손배 청구 힘들어져…재계, 노란봉투법 통과 강력 반발
- Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
- 尹 대통령 “새마을정신 되새겨 혁신과 창의로 뭉쳐야”
- 인요한 "변하든지 죽든지…말 듣지 않으면 매도 들 수 있다"
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- Korea Artist Prize returns after overhaul
- 검사탄핵안 이어…야당, 이번엔 검사 좌표찍기
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- Jungkook adopts guerilla tactics for 'Golden' promotion
- ‘Feminist’ and ‘mama’s boy’ make the least desirable dates in Korea, survey finds
- 윤 대통령, 오스틴 美국방과 만찬 “北, 하마스식 도발땐 단호히 응징”
- CATL reduces gap with LG Energy Solution
- Kakao CEO apologizes for SM stock manipulation allegations
- KDI slashes 2024 growth to 2.2%
- Bass Youn Kwang