S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
简介A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human r ...
A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human rights and agreed to cooperate in launching a consultative body to better address the rights situation in the North, Seoul's foreign ministry said Tuesday.
Chun Young-hee, director general for the Korean Peninsula peace regime, and Ambassador Julie Turner met Monday and discussed efforts to coordinate over North Korean human rights issues, it said.
Turner, who is currently visiting Seoul on a three-day trip, was officially sworn in Friday, ending more than six years of vacancy at the post.
Chun congratulated Turner on her appointment, saying the two countries could strengthen joint efforts to improve North Korea's human rights situation and hold the North accountable for the issue.
He also proposed launching a consultative body on North Korea's human rights to discuss specific cooperative measures between the two countries, according to the ministry.
The two sides agreed to maintain close communication to launch the consultative body via diplomatic channels at the earliest date possible. (Yonhap)
Four contentious bills, including the pro-labor "yellow envelope" law, were scrapped Friday as they ...
Breaking his silence since rumors began emerging nearly two weeks ago, Kwon Ji-yong, more widely kno ...
Hyundai Motor Group is expected to develop its own price-competitive lithium iron phosphate, or LFP, ...
- Citibank named top international bank of 2023 in Korea
- SK Ecoplant to supply advanced fuel cells to Irish data center
- Two Koreas race to launch first homegrown military spy satellites
- Mayplace Hotel marks ninth anniversary with room promotions
- LG Energy Solution to supply EV battery modules to Poland's ICPT
- Zerobaseone reaches 'Melting Point' with 2nd EP
More cultural assets to be digitized
Daewoong aims to reshape obesity market with patch
尹대통령 “군장병 확고한 국가관·대적관 안보대세 가져야”
[Bills in Focus] Broader offshore financial support, mobility regulatory sandbox
Court win for 'comfort women' upheld as Japan declines appeal
Two Koreas race to launch first homegrown military spy satellites
- 조응천 "8년간 쓴소리 했는데…요즘은 백태클에 뒤통수 가격"
- LTI Korea announces winners of 2023 Korea Translation Award
- Succession scheme taking shape at Lotte
- Seoul shares edge down amid US slowdown woes; won sharply down
- Mirae Asset Securities names new CEOs
- 송영길엔 선 그은 이준석 "이낙연 싫어할 이유 없다, 긍정적"
- Congresswoman redoubles calls for support to designate Nov. 22 as 'Kimchi Day'
- Passengers file complaints over burning smell on Gimpo Goldline
- Actors, musicians unite for Hakchon Theater's closing act
- G7 leaders strongly condemn N. Korea's satellite launch, arms transfers to Russia
- 윤 대통령, 4박 6일 사우디·카타르 순방 마치고 귀국
- 여권 ‘TK 지지율’ 비상…오늘 서울 오는 박근혜에 주목
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- Cirque Du Soleil mesmerizes Seoul with 'Luzia: A Waking Dream of Mexico'
- 홍준표 "난 죄 지은 것 없다, 인요한 사면 논의 자체가 쪽팔려"
- SK Pharmteco bets big on cell, gene therapy
- [Today’s K
- KGC wins minister's award for IP management
- Posco, HBIS Group complete steel sheet plant in China
- Samsung Biologics quarterly sales hit W1tr for first time
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Professor awarded for building Korean studies in US
- Revamped 'Sister Act' with diverse cast gets ready for international premiere
- Hyundai Motor posts highest Q3 earnings on upbeat US sales
- Olympic medalist ‘tricked’ by fiance
- Italian architect Franco Mancuso donates archives on Korean Pavilion at Venice Biennale
- [KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
- Supreme Court dismisses Buseoksa's appeal in Bodhisattva statue ownership dispute
- Yoon meets disgraced ex
- NiziU wins best pop video at MTV VMAJs
- Samsung SDI logs record