Alternative nicotine products lead to reduction in smoking rates: report
简介Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstra ...
Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstrated by case studies in Japan and Sweden, a report showed Friday.
In a policy paper dubbed “Safer Nicotine Works,” Tholos Foundation said it has found that alternative nicotine products, ranging from snus, nicotine pouches and gum to vapes and tobacco heating products, help people quit smoking cigarettes.
Japan saw smoking rates, those that smoked cigarettes daily, decline from 19.8 percent to 17.8 percent in just two years between 2017 and 2019 after tobacco heating products were introduced to the market in 2016, the report said. The rate had dropped less than 2 percent over a 14-year period from 2003.
In 2020, the number of male smokers plummeted to below 30 percent for the first time in history. THPs’ launch there also led to a 32 percent drop in cigarette sales in the five years to 2021.
Sweden attributed its decline in smoking rates to snus -- small pouches like tea bags that stick between the upper lip and gum -- and nicotine pouches, as well as taxation on tobacco products. Sweden is the only member state of the European Union that permits the sales of snus.
Close to winning the title of the world’s first “smoke-free” country, Sweden recorded a smoking rate of 5.6 percent in 2022, the lowest in Europe. The rate of those that smoked daily halved from 11.4 percent in a decade.
The research concludes that the alternative nicotine products can be a realistic, less harmful solution to reducing smoking rates.
The foundation issued the paper jointly with Japan-based Pacific Alliance Institute and Sweden’s Scantech Strategy Advisors.
Separately, South Korea’s smoking rate is steadily declining alongside a growing THP market.
THPs, which first entered the Korean market in 2017, took up about 27.8 percent of the nation’s tobacco market this year, according to the Korea Health Promotion Institute’s National Tobacco Control Center.
KT&G’s lil, Philip Morris’ Iqos and BAT Rothmans’ Glo are some of the THPs sold in Korea.
Comedian Yang Se-hyung has ventured into the realm of literature with his newly published poetry col ...
The unification ministry on Sunday urged North Korea to immediately send a South Korean pastor and f ...
China’s economic slowdown could deteriorate more than initially projected, increasing the strain on ...
北, 개성공단 30개 시설 무단 가동…통일부 "분명히 책임 묻겠다"
[Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
Yoon appoints new defense, culture ministers without parliamentary confirmation
Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year
[Rising Virtuosos] Multitalented pianist Kim Song
Orchestra composed of players with visual impairment to perform Oct. 4
- S. Korean shares snap 3
- SM to launch boy group in the UK
- Hyundai Motor becomes first brand to sell cars on Amazon
- S. Korea secures 5th consecutive term on UNESCO executive board
- SM to launch boy group in the UK
- Yoon calls for enhancing connectivity of world economy with APEC at center
- Everland grounds panda Fubao for trying to escape
- Biden, Xi's 'blunt' talks yield deals on military, fentanyl
- ‘Concrete Utopia,’ ‘Moving’ sweep 59th Daejong Film Awards
- EBS' new nature doc to explore symbiotic relationship between nature and humanity
- [KH Explains] Why Apple's iPhone15 is selling better in Korea than China, Japan
- Top conglomerates to start executive reshuffles
- LG Display appoints LG Innotek chief as new CEO
- SK, Hilleman team up to develop next
- 이원욱 “이재명, 최강욱 징계 반발하는 개딸과 이별해야”
- S. Korea elected as member of UNESCO World Heritage Committee
- 이재명 "가장 큰 문제는 오만, 몸가짐·마음가짐 철저 관리를"
- Story of first female leader of traveling entertainers reimagined
- [From the Scene] Jewel Changi offers glimpse of how to make airport fun
- [Korean History] In 2008, Korea's National Treasure No. 1 went down in flames
- German ambassador advocates 'de
- Samsung renews CSR push for multicultural families, seniors
- Dunamu CEO set for third term
- ‘Gorpcore’ a global validation of Korean ajeossi’s fashion instincts?
- 한동훈 “나는 스타장관 아니다, 여당 아닌 야당이 날 띄우는 것"
- After 13 years, Naver's 'OnStage' music show bids farewell
- Heritage expert You Hong
- Pianist Kim Jun
- [Photo News] Sisters acting on stage
- Dyson vows to enhance customer service in Korea