[Rising Virtuosos] Multitalented pianist Kim Song
简介When pianist Kim Song-hyeon participated in the Isangyun Competition in early November, he saw the w ...
When pianist Kim Song-hyeon participated in the Isangyun Competition in early November, he saw the waters of Tongyeong and prayed to become tranquil just like the sea.
Before the final round, he re-read messages of encouragement from Paik Hae-sun, a prominent South Korean pianist and his teacher at the New England Conservatory. Paik, who had flown to Korea for her own performance, came straight to Tongyeong from Incheon Airport after a 20-hour flight to cheer on her student.
The 21-year-old performed Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23, the same piece for which Paik had taken home the third prize from the International Tchaikovsky Competition in 1994. Once Kim finished playing, a standing ovation erupted and he sobbed uncontrollably while exiting the stage.
“Participating in competitions is a high-pressure experience. The stage of evaluation adds to the intensity, as all my efforts over the past few months reach their end. When I saw the audience giving me a standing ovation, my emotions exploded,” Kim told The Korea Herald during an interview on Nov. 6.
Kim had left the Isangyun Competition empty-handed in 2019. This time, he demonstrated significant progress by exiting triumphantly with three awards, including the second prize and the Seong-ywang Park Special Prize, which was awarded by the Kumho Culture Foundation. The third prize is the UNESCO Creative City of Music Special Prize, which is decided by an audience vote, and is a type of award that he is familiar with. At the Sendai International Music Competition in 2022, he won both fifth prize and the Audience Prize.
Online art platform ART Fin kicks off the exhibition “The Present” on Tuesday at ART Fin gallery in ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 지난 8월 3~5일 중요 군수공장을 시찰하면서 완성된 122mm 방사포탄 만져보는 모습. 조선중앙TV 캡처, 연합뉴스북한이 미국의 대이스라엘 군사 지원과 ...
Kazakh Ambassador to Korea Nurgali Arystanov and South Chungcheong Province Gov. Kim Tae-heum showca ...
4 contentious bills scrapped in revote after Yoon's veto
‘Gyeongseong Creature’ to lead year
Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
Kumho Petrochemical comits to net zero by 2050
LG Energy Solution to supply EV battery modules to Poland's ICPT
Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- [Herald Interview] Park Youn
- SK gears up for largest
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- D.O. of EXO to leave SM
- Lotte Cinema to screen NBA game
- In a first, Le Sserafim collaborates with Overwatch for in
- 김기현 “지역·계층·세대별 민심 여과없이 대통령에 직접 전달”
- Samsung Biologics expansion ahead of schedule
- Pentagon official touts robust extended deterrence to S. Korea
- [KH Explains] Why Starbucks' new coupon policy is a big deal in Korea
- 오세훈, ‘TBS 폐지’ 묻자 “그런 일 생겨서는 안 돼”
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- 김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
- US strategic bomber B